For making red kidney beans rice, you will need;
- Red kidney beans – 1 cup
- Korean short grained rice – 1 + ¼ cup (I didn’t have enough Korean rice, so I mixed some Thai rice in it, but Korean short grained rice is recommended for this recipe)
- Dry kelp – ½ cup
- Water – 3 + ¼ cups
- Sesame oil – 2 tsp (Optional)
- Black sesame seeds – 1 tsp (Optional)
- Salt to taste
How to make Red Bean Rice?
- Put kelp in water and bring it to boil. When water starts boiling, reduce the heat to low and allow it to simmer for 10 minutes. Switch off the heat and strain the water. Now we will use this stock for cooking rice and beans.
- Soak red kidney beans in enough water for couple of hours or even more if you have time. This step is optional but soaking beans is a great time saver. If you don’t have a time to soak, just wash them thoroughly and pressure cook until 5-6 whistles. Since I soaked my red kidney beans, It didn’t take long time to cook.
- In a pressure cooker or rice cooker, add soaked beans along with 1 cup of stock (which we made before) and salt to taste. Cook until 2 whistles (If beans are soaked). Otherwise you need to cook them little more.
- Till the time rinse the rice well and drain all the water. Once the pressure goes away, add rice and remaining 2 cups of stock.
- Cook until 2 whistles. Wait till pressure goes off naturally.
- For the more flavour, you may add little sesame oil and roasted sesame seeds.
- Serve this rice hot with any Korean side dish. I served it with dry anchovies stir fry and cucumber kimchi. Enjoy!