‘Yangnyeom tongdak’ is a seasoned sweet and spicy Korean fried chicken. This chicken is super crispy due to double frying and it is coated with sweet and spicy sauce that makes it even more tastier.
For making Yangnyeom tongdak | Korean fried chicken, you will need;
- Chicken – 500gm
- Korean frying mix – ½ cup
- Corn starch – ¼ cup
- Black pepper powder – 1/3 tsp
- Salt – 1 tsp
- Roasted sesame seeds – 1 tbsp
For sweet and spicy sauce
- Korean hot pepper paste (gochujang) – 2 tbsp
- Corn syrup – 3 tbsp
- Brown sugar – 2 and ½ tbsp
- Garlic cloves – 3 big (minced)
- Ketchup – 1 tbsp
- Soy sauce – 2 tbsp
- Olive oil – 2 tsp
How to make Yangnyeom tongdak or Korean Fried Chicken?
- Remove the skin of chicken. Wash the pieces thoroughly under cold running water and pat dry them.
- Season the chicken pieces with black pepper powder and salt. Allow it to rest on counter for 15 minutes.
- Add frying mix and corn starch into chicken pieces little by little and keep mixing until all pieces are coated evenly with flour mixture.
- Set coated pieces aside and keep remaining flour mixture for later use.
- Prepare the oil for frying. Roll them again into remaining flour mixture and put them into hot oil. Fry them nicely until brown. It may take around 5-6 minutes. Take them out on paper towel.
- Fry them in a small batches, so that temperature of oil won’t drop. Once you are finished with all batches, double fry all pieces for 3-4 minutes until nice crispy and brown.
- Frying them twice is necessary to get perfect crispy chicken.
- For making sauce, take all the ingredients mentioned above in a saucepan.
- Mix everything together and cook for couple of minutes until mixture is nice shiny and thick. Keep the heat low.
- Put all fried chicken pieces and mix them gently so that they get coated evenly with sauce.
- Switch off the heat and sprinkle roasted sesame seeds on top.
- Serve them hot.