Serves – 2-3
For making hot and sour soup, you will need;
- Cabbage – 1/3 cup (shredded)
- Some Enokitake / Enoki mushrooms (these are long, thin white mushrooms used in East Asian cuisine; if not available, skip it)
- Carrot – ¼ cup (finely chopped)
- Radish – 1/3 cup (cut into small cubes)
- Capsicum – ¼ cup (finely chopped)
- Green onion – 2 (finely chopped)
- Extra firm Tofu – ½ cup (cut into medium sized cubes)
- Garlic cloves – 3 big (minced)
- Corn starch – 1 heaped tsp
- Egg – 1
- Vinegar chilli sauce– 1 tbsp
- Soy sauce – 2 tbsp
- Olive oil – 2 tsp
- Vegetable stock – 2 cups (You can use chicken stock also, I have used stock made from clams and kelp)
- Little salt and black pepper powder
How to make Hot and sour soup?
- In a saucepan, heat olive oil.
- Once the oil is hot enough, add minced garlic and sauté for few seconds.
- Then add all the veggies except green onion and mushrooms.
- Add little salt and black pepper and stir fry them for a minute.
- Add vegetable stock (if not available, add 2 cups of water) and bring it to boil.
- Then add enoki mushrooms, tofu and green onion. Now reduce the heat to medium and cook everything together for a minute.
- Add vinegar chilli sauce, soy sauce and reduce heat to low. Allow soup to simmer for couple of minutes.
- Mix corn starch in a ¼ cup of water and add in slowly to soup. Keep stirring continuosly. Soup will thicken up a little bit.
- Finally break one egg and stir it nicely.
- Switch off the heat and serve hot.