I tried this recipe from Maangchi. It tastes delicious. More than else I liked it because it is so healthy and filling. Maangchi recommends having it with radish kimchi. Since I was running out of radish kimchi, I had this soup as it is. I made vegetarian version and added Korean red pepper powder to make it spicy. I also flavored it with little soy sauce. To make non-vegetarian version, you can use dried anchovies instead of kelp. I thank Maangchi for this wonderful recipe.
Serves – 2-3
- Soybean sprouts – 1 package
- Kelp – ½ cup
- Green onions – 5-6
- Onion – ½ (sliced)
- Cloves of garlic – 4 (minced)
- Korean Red pepper powder – 1 tsp
- Black pepper powder – ¼ tsp
- Soy sauce – 1 tbsp
- Sesame oil – ½ tbsp
- Roasted sesame seeds – 2 tbsp
- Salt to taste
- Water – 5 cups
How to make Soybean Sprouts Soup?
- Rinse the soybean sprouts under cold running water couple of times.
- In a big vessel, add soybean sprouts, water and salt to taste. Add sliced onion, minced garlic and kelp.
- Put the lid on and bring it to boil. Let it cook for 20 minutes on medium heat.
- Open the lid and mix everything together. Lower the heat and allow it to simmer for 20 minutes more.
- Now open the lid and remove the kelp.
- Add Korean red pepper powder, black pepper powder, sesame oil, chopped green onions and soy sauce.
- Mix well and switch off the heat.
- Make a fine powder of roasted sesame seeds. Add into a soup and mix well.
- Serve hot with radish kimchi.