I visited one of My Korean friend’s house last week to see her garden. I am sharing some of pictures of beautiful flowers from her garden, I hope you will also like them. She is such a lovely woman I met. She offered me authentic Korean napa cabbage kimchi and also gifted two beautiful plants which were cherished by her. She told me this kimchi is 1 year old. This kimchi is traditionally homemade and authentic in true sense. Since it is fermented for a year, it was sour and amazingly delicious. I made kimchi pancakes and kimchi fried rice from this napa cabbage kimchi. Both tasted super delicious.
Recipe yields 5 pancakes
- Napa Cabbage Kimchi – 1 and ¼ cup
- Kimchi Water – ½ cup (It’s nothing but the water released by fermented kimchi)
- Crispy and Savory Golden Korean pancake mix – 1 and ½ cups
- Onion – ½
- Green onions – 4
- Sugar – 1 tsp
- Egg – 1
- Water – 1 cup
- Salt to taste
- Oil for frying
How to make Kimchi Pancake?
- Cut the kimchi into very fine pieces.
- Cut green onions into 2 inch pieces.
- Take pancake mix in a bowl. Add egg and salt to taste. Mix well.
- Add 1 cup of water and stir nicely until all lumps are removed.
- Add kimchi water and mix.
- Then add chopped kimchi, onion and green onions.
- Mix everything together and pancake batter is ready.
- Put enough oil in a pan. If you want your pancakes to be nice and crispy, you have to be generous with oil.
- Once oil is hot enough, pour two ladlefuls of batter in a circular motion and fill the centre. Use back of ladle to spread it evenly. Spreading thinly makes pancake crispier.
- Cook until edge of pancake starts to come away from the frying pan sides and turns brown. This is the perfect time to flip the pancake.
- Flip and cook from other side by pressing with spatula. When other side is also brown, your pancake is ready.
- For making dipping sauce, you will need; Soy sauce – 2 tbsp, Vinegar – 2 tbsp, Sesame oil – 1 tsp, Hot red pepper – ½ (thinly sliced), Spring onion – 1/2 (thinly sliced). Combine all together and your dipping sauce is ready.
- Serve this kimchi pancakes with Korean spicy dipping sauce. Enjoy!
Here are some of pictures of my friend’s beautiful garden.
She gifted me two plants from her garden. Aren’t they beautiful? One of them is pineapple mint, smells wonderful.