This is my cute experiment with kimbap (Korean sushi roll). I like to eat rice mixed with dried bonito and seaweed. Instead of eating it plain, I dressed it up into these pretty flowers. Aren’t they looking scrumptious? My intention was to make petals of flower yellow that is why I added cooked egg yolk in rice. But one egg yolk was not enough to give yellow color. If you are going to attempt it, try to add 2 egg yolks. If you like, you can use food color instead of egg yolks. In the middle, I have used pickled radish, you can replace it with carrot or cucumber or even sausage would work fine.
For making flower shaped kimbap, you will need;
- Cooked Korean short grained rice – 1 cup
- Pickled radish – 2 small pieces
- Dried bonito and seaweed – 1 pack
- Dried seaweed (nori)- 2 sheets
- Hard boiled egg – 1
- Sesame oil – 2 tsp
- Roasted sesame seeds – 1 tsp
- Little salt if required
How to make flower Kimbap?
- In rice, add egg yolk, dried bonito and seaweed, sesame oil, roasted sesame seeds, and little salt if required.
- Mix well and keep aside.
- Cut dried seaweed sheet into 6 equal parts and make 6 balls out of above rice mixture.
- Spread rice into each sheet and roll them using bamboo sheet.
- Once you are done with all rolls, stack two small pickled radishes and shape them to form a cylinder.
- Place all rolls around pickled radishes to form a flower as shown in picture.
- Take another seaweed sheet and cut into half. Spread plain white rice on that.
- Then roll flower onto white rice seaweed sheet using bamboo mat. Press roll gently and evenly.
- Take a sharp knife and cut the roll into 3-4 equal parts.
- Your flower kimbap are ready. You can use them to make your bento box lunch.
Do give it a try at home and amaze your loved ones with your creativity. Enjoy and have a blissful time!